Thursday, October 27, 2005

Some Colorado Politics

If you live in Colorado, you've been inundated with ads about Referendum C &D. The Taxpayer's Bill of Rights says that surplus monies must be given back to taxpayers at tax time. This surplus money has nothing to do with the refund that you may get at tax time. The people opposed to C&D don't want you to believe that. The reason for C&D is that if it does not pass, then more money will have to be cut from the budget.

Tax freaks (Dick Armey, from whereeverhe'sfrom, but sticking his nose into Colorado politics...go figure) are well-funded and taking the easy path of a campaign that has serious consequences for the entire state. They want people to believe that they will no longer receive tax refunds that they may otherwise be entitled to. They belong to the Grover Norquist school of economics, that being the less funded government is, the more likely they'll be able to flush it down the drain.

So the reason I'm writing this, is that I received the best campaign advertisement in history today, from Ken Gordon from the Colorado State Senate. I'd give up a month's salary to see more campaign ads like this.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the material on Ken's website, so here in brief is part of it:

___ Yes! I will vote for C&D and convince others to do so.
___ No! I plan to vote against C&D. I understand if voters reject C&D, you will be forced to cut $365 million from Colorado's budget. I urge you to cut as follows:

Then it lists options for cuts, such as services for the disabled, veteran's benefits, Medicaid, etc. (If the totat of your cuts equal less than $365 million, please erase your responses and propose deeper cuts)

The killer is in the fine print at the bottom:

I understand that by voting against Referendum C&D, to get a new Driver's license, I will forgo two weeks of paid vacation to camp out, in line at the Motor Vehicles Department. Furthermore, I agree to supply room & board for one felon in my spare bedroom or basement. (I would rather have a drug dealer than a murderer). I will assume responsibility for pothole repair, snow plowing and street sweeping for one 200-foot section of state highway (and hope my neighbor does the same). I agree to home-school my child until the age of 25. (I am particularly good at teaching how to factor quadratic equations).

I love this ad. More like this, please.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete Deichmann said...

A bit late perhaps, but have you looked at www.actcolorado.org ?

Even my Kerry-Hugging, Uber-Democrat, Public School Teacher, Wife is voting against C&D.

The state is recieving an automatic $400 million increase in taxes because of TABOR's structure. Shouldn't that cover the $365 million? On top of that; TABOR only covers 58% of state revenue. The rest is wide open for state usage.

11:58 PM, October 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home