Monday, December 25, 2006

The Meaning of Christmas

For the first time in several years, I've pondered the meaning of christmas this year, at least what it means for me. I've been watching CSPAN regularly and they have asked this question the last two days, and it had me thinking. Several people who called used a religious reference. I know several people who take it personally if you use the letters 'xmas' to describe the holiday, or don't capitalize the C in christmas. Whatever floats your boat.

I was lucky enough to be raised by someone who considered herself an atheist, and someone who considered himself a cheated catholic. What that meant in day to day life was no religious pounding. What that meant at christmas was presents and fun and family. There are many people who hold today to be a holy day. What I don't get is (and what I can ask in my complete ignorance of the subject), how can you combine the two? If today is based on religion for you, how can you participate in the commercialization that's so rampant? Isn't there a double standard there?

I've done some learning about religion since my childhood, but it has been on my own terms, at my own time. It's a fascinating subject, for many different reasons. It's freeing to not be beholden to certain concepts or ideas. I can ask stupid questions based completely in ignorance.

Christmas this year has a different feel for me. For the last several years, I've wanted to hide away and hope it passes over without leaving a mark on me. This year I've discovered that I'm ready to come out of my cave and celebrate again next year. This year, more than I've noted before, it's become important to me to have people around me, that I care about and care about me. And regardless of if you're a Santa Commercialized person, or a Jesus' Birthday person, I think there's common ground there.

Merry Xmas, everyone :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home